(1) IDF officers say: “we have enough targets to keep striking“, but US and other friendly countries are pressuring Israel for a cease-fire. Netanyahu is normally not keen on war in the first place, less so than more left-wing colleagues (as even a flaming leftist colleague and friend remarked — yes, in Israel friendships across political lines are nothing unusual), and the IDF appears to have achieved several important objectives, but the question is what else they want to wrap up before the pressure for a cease-fire becomes impossible to withstand.
Israel is going to great lengths to (with the aid of technology) try and avoid civilian casualties: YNet has “gun camera video” of a drone operator being told by the command center to abort a strike because there are children present at the target site. [VIDEO IN HEBREW WILL OPEN IN NEW WINDOW]
But the longer an operation like this goes on, the greater the risk of a mishap — or of Hamass deliberately placing innocents in the line of Israeli fire, and even using a double agent to “give pinpointed target information” that ensures an Israeli strike with massive collateral damage.
(2) Here you have the announcer of the Palestinian Authority TV literally saying to his people “your lives are unimportant” (in Arabic, English subtitles by Palestinian Media Watch).
I guess that explains this sort of thing: Gaza rocket aimed at Modi`in to ‘avenge’ Palestinian deaths hits West Bank town.
And speak of cutting off your nose to spite your face: failed Ḥamas rocket launch costs 250K Palestinians their electricity.
Meanwhile, in Western capitals, we are being treated to the absurdist spectacle of self-declared “progressives” marching with Hamas sympathizers in support of one of the most regressive, obscurantist, theocratic, misogynistic, and hardcore homophobic regimes on the planet. [What’s more, one used as a cat’s paw in a proxy war by a powerful regime of the same ilk, albeit nominally belonging to a different branch of fundamentalist Islam.] It would be hilarious if it weren’t so sad. Speaking as an avid student of history: it isn’t the first time that a movement has betrayed everything it stood for blinded by irrational hatred of a group “not on board with the program” and alas, it won’t be the last.
(3) The best video of the day is a 2017 statement by a former member of Hamas, Mosab Ḥassan Yousef [“the Green Prince”], speaking for UN Watch at a UN gathering (I cannot be sure if it’s the UNGA or one of the councils):
Amen. There is no worse enemy of the Palestinian Arabs than the theo-mafiocracy lording it over Gaza, and attempting to lord it over the West Bank as well.
To my Christian readers of the Western communion: happy Pentecost.
To my fellow Jews: chag shavuot sameach!
ADDENDUM (via Instapundit): Jeffrey Herf has a look at the 1988 Hamas Covenant, which he accurately describes as “fascist” — in fact, entire sections read like they were cribbed verbatim from the scribblings of a certain failed Austrian painter and his familiars. Go read the whole thing.
ADDENDUM 2: Ḥaviv Rettig Gur argues that Ḥamas has already reached its real objective for this round — and that it has less to do with Israel proper than with the West Bank, specifically with consigning Ḥamas’s secular-nationalist rival, Abu Mazen’s Fataḥ, to irrelevance.
PREVIOUS POSTS ON THE UNFOLDING SITUATION:
- Developing: rocket fire on central Israel; Update: major rioting in Lod
- Israel: Rocket fire and riots in mixed Jewish-Arab towns; Netanyahu gets a new lease on political life? [UPDATED]
- For by ruses shalt thou wage war (Proverbs 24:6), Israel vs. Hamas “Tunnel Metro” edition
- Israel under fire update: rockets fall on Arab towns too; UAE tells Gaza their planned infrastructure projects won’t go through unless they stop; the Iron Dome system in a nutshell